Bismillahi Rahmani Rahim
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
Beta bersyukur ke hadrat ILAHI kerana dengan limpah rahmat dari Nya juga Beta dapat berangkat ke Majlis Merdeka Award dan Sketches of Science Exhibition pada petang ini.
- Themed: “Merdeka Award: Celebrating the Culture of Excellence”, this exhibition provides the opportunity for us to showcase the achievements and contributions of Merdeka Award recipients over the years, captured for posterity by some of Malaysia’s foremost contemporary artists, and commissioned and curated by GALERI PETRONAS.
- It is a tribute to the 22 individuals and two organizations that have made significant and sustainable contributions to the development and advancement of Malaysia. It is a celebration of their relentless pursuit of excellence and their commitment to strive beyond the call of duty.
- As such, this exhibition is an excellent avenue for Malaysians to get a more personal sense of the accomplishments of the recipients and also understand and appreciate the magnitude of their contributions to the nation.
- It is my hope that the exhibition will cultivate an appreciation for the arts and the sciences, and inspire and excite young Malaysians to explore and pursue their passions in the various fields.
- It is therefore fitting that this exhibition is being held alongside the Nobel’s “Sketches of Science” exhibition, which showcases ingenious sketches by Nobel Laureates based on their scientific work.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- The Nobel Prize has a very long and illustrious history going back more than a hundred years, while the Merdeka Award is a relatively new Award that was established in 2007 by three of the world’s leading energy companies, PETRONAS, ExxonMobil and Shell.
- As reflected in the name, the Merdeka Award seeks to commemorate the true Spirit of Merdeka, which transcends the conventional definition of national sovereignty; it explores the liberation of the mind and spirit – factors that foster the realisation of the human potential and the pursuit of excellence.
- Through this exhibition, we hope to capture the achievements of outstanding Malaysians and non-Malaysians, in areas as diverse as medicine, the environment, architecture, education, welfare, and rural development.
- While these works of art are objects of great beauty, their true significance lies in the achievements they represent:
- In healthcare, through the treatment and prevention of dengue; the provision of accessible and affordable world-class cardiac care and the treatment of diabetes.
- In community work, with programmes that help alleviate poverty, that provide assistance to the underprivileged, and through initiatives that empower women.
- In the economic sphere, through programmes that improve and promote our products like palm oil, and the development of rural communities.
- In research and development, by furthering our nation’s work in the sciences and in the creation of commercially viable products from resources that are indigenous to Malaysia and the region.
- In the area of environmental conservation, through the protection and conservation of our natural heritage and the promotion of sustainable practices.
- This exhibition is the realisation of a concerted effort by four organizations:
- The Nobel Museum;
- The Academy of Sciences Malaysia;
- GALERI PETRONAS;
- And the Merdeka Award.
- This is the first time that these organisations have joined forces to work on a project, and I commend their effort in organising this exhibition. Let me also congratulate our 17 artists, who have portrayed the Merdeka Award recipients in interesting perspectives.
- I am especially delighted to hear that the exhibition will also be captured in film and shared online and on social media sites. It is my hope that this exhibition will inspire the younger generation to build upon the legacy of these remarkable individuals and organisations as we continue our journey of taking this nation to greater heights.