Bismillahi Rahmani Rahim
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
Beta bersyukur ke hadrat ILAHI kerana dengan limpah rahmat dari Nya juga Beta dapat berangkat ke Majlis Pengumuman Penerima Geran Anugerah Merdeka bagi Program Kesarjanaan Antarabangsa (Merdeka Award Grant for International Attachment) 2012-2013 pada petang ini.
2. The Merdeka Award Grant for International Attachment was announced last year as a signature programme of the Merdeka Award with the aim of reaching out to the younger generation of Malaysians and to inspire them to excel and contribute to the nation.
3. The Grant is designed to identify and recognise outstanding young Malaysians who personify the Spirit of Merdeka, and those who, in their own areas of expertise and in their own way, demonstrate a commitment to excellence.
4. They are individuals who are making a difference to Malaysia and the lives of Malaysians.
5. By introducing the Merdeka Award Grant for International Attachment, the Merdeka Award aims to nurture these young leaders – Malaysia’s future – to help the nation compete effectively in the global arena.
6. We do this by making it possible for these young Malaysians to engage in short-term collaborative projects and programmes at selected, internationally recognised host institutions abroad.
7. It is our hope that these collaborative attachments will help them establish contact and working relationships with experts in the field, share knowledge and experience, and upon their return, to further build on the body of work in their areas of research.
8. This is the first year in which the Grant is being offered, and we are encouraged by the response, with 60 high-quality applications
9. The Selection Committee, led by Dato Mohammad Medan Abdullah, the Secretary to the Merdeka Award Board of Trustees, together with the Human Resource Heads of PETRONAS, ExxonMobil and Shell, interviewed the top nine candidates after a stringent evaluation process.
10. This list of outstanding young Malaysians was further shortlisted to five nominees which were presented to the Merdeka Award Board of Trustees, who made the final selection.
11. The two recipients, who will be announced today, exemplify the Spirit of Merdeka in their pursuit of excellence and contribution to the nation. Both have chosen to focus on areas of study that are beneficial, not just to Malaysia, but to a wider global community.
12. It now gives me great pleasure to announce the recipients of the Merdeka Award Grant for International Attachment 2012-2013.
- Assistant Professor Dr Abhimanyu Veerakumarasivam.
Dr Abhimanyu, 34, is Assistant Professor & Director of Scientific Foundations of Medicine at the Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine.
He plans to pursue his research on the identification of molecular markers for the diagnosis, prognosis and therapy of bladder cancer through greater molecular understanding of the disease.
- Dr Natrah Fatin Mohd Ikhsan .
Dr Natrah, 33, is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Aquaculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia and she also holds the position of Treasurer at the Malaysian Fisheries Society.
She plans to pursue her research in understanding molecular microbial ecology for optimal microbial resources management towards sustainable agriculture production.
13. Further details of the Attachments including the institutions that wil be hosting the two recipients, will be announced shortly by the Merdeka Award Secretariat.
14. Both of these recipients are fine examples of young Malaysians who have persevered in their pursuit of excellence through dedication and commitment in their chosen field of research.
15. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Selection Committee and to all those who have contributed to the success of this Award Grant.